Senior Manager, Medical Communications
Category: Research & Development | Country: United States | State: Pennsylvania | City: Philadelphia | Type: Regular, Full Time | Job ID: 4195
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology – areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and being a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
The Senior Manager, Medical Communications is responsible for the management of publication agencies/vendors for the creation and revision of medical content to support Medical Science Liaison (MSL) and managed care MSL (MCMSL) teams, and/or will directly create this content. The Senior Manager, Medical Communications is also responsible for leading publication projects in collaboration with medical communications leaders. The Senior Manager, Medical Communications, reports into the medical communications lead for the therapeutic area. This position supports the sleep therapeutic area.
- Develop and maintain content (e.g., slide decks) for Medical Science Liaison (MSL) and managed care MSL (MCMSL) teams for assigned product(s), through management of publication agencies and/or direct content creation. Lead projects through the Jazz medical content approval process.
- In collaboration with key stakeholders within Medical Affairs, lead the medical communications strategy activities at key medical congresses, including the development of medical and/or therapeutic area booth panels, other booth materials, meeting summaries to internal audiences, and post-meeting slide reviews to internal audiences through agency management and direct content development; ensure all materials undergo the appropriate Jazz medical content approval process.
- As assigned by the medical communications lead(s) for assigned product(s), responsible for the overseeing the development of abstracts, posters, oral presentations, and manuscripts from Jazz-sponsored clinical trials and other Jazz-sponsored research, through management of publications agencies.
- Collaborate with biostatistics and other R&D stakeholders to provide direction for analysis plans for the development of post-hoc analyses utilized in publications and other medical content creation.
- Collaborate with medical communications lead(s) for assigned products with the development and implementation of a comprehensive publication plan. Strategic publication planning is conducted in collaboration with the medical communications lead for the therapeutic area and the therapeutic area medical director.
- Build effective partnerships with all internal stakeholders, including therapeutic area medical directors, medical communications leads, HEOR, biostatistics, clinical development, Medical Science Liaisons, medical information, and other members of the publications team.
- Establish strong working relationships with authors and other external experts.
- Manage day to day interactions with publication agencies and participate in vendor selection activities.
- Assist medical communications leads in the management of all financial and contractual aspects of assigned projects, including external vendors.
- Coordinate publication reviews and integration of reviewer comments of assigned publication projects.
- Ensure that all developed materials are reviewed and appropriately signed off according to Jazz Policies and SOPs and maintain archive of approved materials within the appropriate management system.
- Assist in the review of assigned publications for medical accuracy, fair balance, and ensuring adherence to Jazz policies and good publication practice.
- Ensure all assigned Jazz-sponsored publications are developed according to Jazz publication policy and good publication practice, including published guidelines (e.g., GPP3, ICMJE, CONSORT).
- Support development of scientific communications plans and oversee execution of tactics both internally and externally.
- Develop and expand scientific proficiency in assigned therapeutic area(s).
- Prepare, analyze, interpret, and summarize data.
- Evaluate study data from tables and listings.
- Participates in department initiatives/projects
- The Senior Manager, Medical Communications reports into the medical communications lead for the therapeutic area.
Required/Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to create and manage the creation of high-quality documents that effectively and clearly convey scientific data, properly identify/target the audience for each document, and communicate clearly and concisely
- Experience in strategic publication planning and execution of publication plans is preferred.
- Strong Knowledge of current good publication practices and guidelines and medical writing guidelines (e.g., GPP3, ICMJE, CONSORT).
- Demonstrated experience interacting with and collaborating with external experts; ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience managing external agencies preferred.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills and written communication skills.
- Understand clinical trial research, the drug development process, and GCP requirements, and have experience with reviewing clinical trial data.
- Prior medical writing experience preferred.
- Proficiency with computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as databases such as PubMed.
- Travel will vary, plan on 10-20%.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Advanced degree required. Doctorate level preferred (PhD, PharmD, MD).
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in pharmaceutical medical communications / publications, or at a medical communications agency in a medical director role. Experience within the pharmaceutical industry is preferred.
Description of Physical Demands
- Occasional mobility within and external to an office environment.
- Routinely sitting for extended periods of time.
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone and other similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment
- Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
- Frequent computer use at workstation.
- May move from one work location to another occasionally.
- Responsibilities may periodically require a work schedule that may include working outside of “normal” work hours, including evenings and weekends, in order to meet business demands.
- Occasional public contact requiring appropriate business apparel.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.