Vice President, Search & Evaluation
Category: Corporate | Country: United States | State: California | City: Palo Alto | Type: Regular, Full Time | Job ID: 4182
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients’ lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology – areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If you’re looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients’ lives and being a great place to work, we hope you’ll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
Reporting to the Head of R&D, the Vice President, Search and Evaluation will be responsible for overseeing a team of S&E professionals accountable for all search activities and subsequent scientific and technical evaluation of potential transactions for both licensing and M&A in the current focus areas, and potentially of new areas deemed to be of strategic interest to Jazz in the future. Opportunities of interest may range from novel technology platforms to marketed medicines.
The candidate will work cross-functionally to help shape the in-licensing and M&A strategy and to align internal stakeholders around potential new Jazz Pharmaceuticals investment opportunities. He/she will provide oversight, mentorship and support to a team of PhDs ensuring the right priorities consistent with strategic objectives and based on a deep understanding of the therapeutic area needs.
The candidate is accountable for ensuring that all relevant supporting documentation for transactions prepared by the S&E team is of the highest quality and is prepared and reviewed in line with the approval process. This includes external presentations to potential partners, due diligence reports and management presentations.
- Partner closely with Corporate Development, New Product Planning and R&D to shape the in-licensing and M&A strategy to build and strengthen the Jazz portfolio.
- Lead the sourcing of potential external assets across the therapeutic areas identified as strategic
- Lead R&D evaluation of these opportunities from a preclinical, clinical, medical, and drug development perspective, including the development of initial preclinical and clinical development plans when needed
- Represent Jazz Pharmaceuticals S&E in interactions with KOLs, companies, academic institutes or other entities pursuant to above responsibilities
- Build and manage a team of S&E professional (PhDs) to implement the in-licensing strategy in a collaborative environment.
- Attend relevant conferences as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence experienced professionals
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- Deep scientific acumen and curiosity
- Deep understanding of pharmaceutical development
- Strategic thinker
- Effective communicator
- Proven leader with at least 15 years pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry experience, demonstrating a broad understanding of the drug development process
- At least 5 years of S&E or related business development, or clinical development, medical affairs, research or related experience in one or more of therapeutic areas of particular interest to Jazz Pharmaceuticals e.g. sleep medicine, oncology, hematology, or neurology.
- Record of leading successful R&D opportunity assessments strongly preferred
- Experience working with both internal and external multidisciplinary teams and customers
- Understanding of the clinical development process and regulatory and related guidelines
- Understanding of commercialization, and market access environment is a plus
- Demonstration of the Jazz Values: Integrity, Collaboration, Passion, Pursuit of Excellence, Innovation
Required/Preferred Education and Licences
- Advanced degree: MD, PhD or Pharm D with broad experience in the pharmaceutical industry
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.