Majority of UC Cases Considered Mild to Moderate

21st May 2017 (Last Updated May 21st, 2017 18:30)

UC is an inflammatory bowel disease characterised by long-lasting inflammation and sores in the insides of the digestive tract. Especially in its most severe form, Ulcerative colitis (UC) can have significant effects on the quality of life of patients with the disease. Symptoms may vary with severity and can include persistent diarrhea, cramping, and abdominal pain.

UC is an inflammatory bowel disease characterised by long-lasting inflammation and sores in the insides of the digestive tract. Especially in its most severe form, Ulcerative colitis (UC) can have significant effects on the quality of life of patients with the disease. Symptoms may vary with severity and can include persistent diarrhea, cramping, and abdominal pain.

Fortunately, the disease is considered to be mild to moderate in most patients, which is associated with milder disease symptoms and improved treatment outcomes compared to severe forms.

Figure 1 presents the number of incident cases of UC in the seven major markets (7MM) of the US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK, and Japan in 2015, by severity class.

7MM, Diagnosed Incident Cases of UC by Severity, Both Sexes, 2015

UC is limited to the colon and it may feature less frequent complications such as the bleeding from deep cuts in the colon and ineffective treatment. Currently, the only cure for UC involves surgical removal of the colon. Drugs can help decrease the inflammation and symptoms.

In the 7MM, GlobalData epidemiologists forecast that there were 86,509 diagnosed incident cases of UC in 2015. Of these cases, 63.5% were diagnosed as mild-to-moderate, with the remaining 36.5% classified as moderate-to-severe. Improving the rate of early diagnosis can improve the quality of life of a person with UC, as symptoms can be lessened if the disease is treated early when it’s still in a milder stage.

Details about this forecast and other discussions of UC epidemiology can be found in the EpiCast Report: Ulcerative Colitis – Epidemiology Forecast to 2025 and the EpiCast Model: Ulcerative Colitis – Epidemiology Forecast to 2025.