View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
June 6, 2017updated 13 Jul 2022 10:10am

INCREMENT Study Data Question Effectiveness of Combination Antibiotic Therapy in Certain Patients

GlobalData Expert Insights report on the results of the INCREMENT study announced at the recent ECCMID 2017 conference held in Vienna

By Staff Writer

At the recent European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID) in Vienna, results from the INCREMENT study demonstrated for the first time that initiation of empiric combination therapy — as opposed to treatment with a single antibiotic — is only beneficial in patients with bloodstream infections (BSIs) caused by carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae (CPE). This is specifically in those who have a high mortality risk due to the infection. GlobalData anticipates this study will be influential in the adoption of a single antibiotic regimen in the treatment of patients with a low mortality risk. This will subsequently reduce the risk of adverse events (AEs) due to antibiotic combinations, while at the same time reducing the emergence of antibacterial resistance to multiple antibiotics.

Free Case Study
img

Direct-to-Patient Trials: How IRT Plays an Important Role in Bellerophon's Direct-to-Patient Trials

As the industry strengthens its focus on patient centricity, Direct-to-Patient clinical trials have emerged as a popular trial design that have the potential to increase patient recruitment and retention. IRT plays a crucial role in the success of a Direct-to-Patient trial. Because drug supplies are being managed and shipped from distribution facilities directly to patients’ homes, a sponsor must have a high-quality system in place to accurately track the chain of custody, ensure patient-blinding and handle other logistical challenges. What You Will Learn Benefits and challenges associated with the Direct-to-Patient model Bellerophon's top considerations when implementing this trial design How IRT can equip study teams to successfully track chain of custody, ensure patient blinding, and handle logistical challenges
by Suvoda
Enter your details here to receive your free Case Study.

While this finding has the potential to directly influence future guidelines on the appropriate use of antibiotics in patients suffering from CPE infections, GlobalData notes that the underlying cause of this observation justifies further research, as it remains unclear if host factors or pathogen responses in patients with a high disease activity are responsible for the improved outcomes with a combination of antibiotics. Researchers participating in the INCREMENT study also showed that carbapenems can be reserved for patients in whom all other antimicrobial treatment against extended spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Enterobacteriaceae (ESBL-E) has failed without affecting treatment outcomes. GlobalData anticipates that this finding could decrease the use of carbapenems, thereby reducing the emergence of resistance to this antibiotic of last resort.

The INCREMENT study is an observational, multinational effort involving 37 hospitals across 11 countries to assess the efficacy of different antimicrobial treatment options for treating BSIs caused by ESBL-E or CPE. All patients enrolled in the INCREMENT study are graded by a mortality scores such as the INCREMENT-CPE and INCREMENT-ESBLE mortality scores, which includes presence of sepsis or septic shock, a Pitt bacteremia score, a Charlson Comorbidity Index score, and BSIs as primary source of infection.

The INCREMENT study enrolled a total of 437 patients of which 343 patients (78 percent) were shown by blood cultures to have received appropriate antibiotic therapy, whereas the remaining 94 patients (22 percent) received ineffective regimens, resulting in an overall lower mortality in the patients receiving appropriate antibiotic therapy (treatment difference 22.1 percent; 95 percent CI, 11.0–33.3 percent; p ≤0.0001).

Of the 343 patients receiving appropriate antibiotic therapy, 135 patients (39 percent) received combination therapy, whereas the remaining 208 patients (61 percent) received monotherapy. The overall 30-day mortality rate was no different between patients receiving either regimen (adjusted hazard risk 1.63 [95 percent CI, 0.67–3.91]; p = 0.28). However, among patients with a high INCREMENT-CPE score (8–15 points), combination therapy was associated with a lower mortality rate compared with those who received monotherapy; 30 out of 63 patients receiving combination therapy died (48 percent), whereas in the monotherapy treatment arm 64 out of 103 patients (62 percent) died (p = 0.02). 

In addition to enrolling patients with BSIs due to CPE, the INCREMENT study recruited 855 patients with BSIs due to ESBL-E treated between 2004 and 2012. The researchers showed that patients receiving broad-spectrum antibiotics such as carbapenems had similar 30-day mortality rates (489 patients, mortality rate 17 percent) compared with patients who received other antibiotics (excluding carbapenems or beta-lactamase inhibitors, 83 patients, mortality rate 19 percent), or patients receiving an inactive antibiotic choice (283 patients, mortality rate 15.5 percent). However, the study showed that patients receiving an inactive antibiotic choice were at a three-fold increased risk of death.

BSIs, particular those of ESBL/CPE origin, remain a major challenge to infectious diseases specialists. Current guidelines for treating infections caused by carbapenemase-producing bacteria are based on national, observational, retrospective studies and recommend the use of combination antibiotic therapy over antibiotic monotherapy. GlobalData anticipates that the results from the INCREMENT study will help to change the current treatment paradigm and will result in improved patient outcomes, while reducing the risk of antibiotic resistance.

Related Companies

Free Case Study
img

Direct-to-Patient Trials: How IRT Plays an Important Role in Bellerophon's Direct-to-Patient Trials

As the industry strengthens its focus on patient centricity, Direct-to-Patient clinical trials have emerged as a popular trial design that have the potential to increase patient recruitment and retention. IRT plays a crucial role in the success of a Direct-to-Patient trial. Because drug supplies are being managed and shipped from distribution facilities directly to patients’ homes, a sponsor must have a high-quality system in place to accurately track the chain of custody, ensure patient-blinding and handle other logistical challenges. What You Will Learn Benefits and challenges associated with the Direct-to-Patient model Bellerophon's top considerations when implementing this trial design How IRT can equip study teams to successfully track chain of custody, ensure patient blinding, and handle logistical challenges
by Suvoda
Enter your details here to receive your free Case Study.

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. Key drug pipeline and competitive landscape changes based on the latest clinical activity, sent every Tuesday. Curated analysis and data-driven insights on clinical trials strategy and operations, sent every Thursday. The pharmaceutical industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Clinical Trials Arena